One of my favorite things about December are the holiday parties that I get to attend! The best way to bond with friends and family is with food, which must be why in January most of us make resolutions to hit the gym hard! Why not get a leg up on your resolution and serve your guests some healthy grub!
In the mood for some sweet treats? Did you know that a chocolate covered strawberry is a mere 57 calories?! Try 3 Hershey’s Peppermint Candy Kisses for just 73 calories! A piece of rich Godiva Candy Cane Crunch is just 66 calories! Looking for a savory snack? Guacamole, fresh salsa, bruchetta, and shrimp cocktail come to mind. Just don’t over do it!
Here’s a healthy dish to try at your next holiday gathering! Not too crabby (I mean shabby)!
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 2 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped pickled jalapenos, (optional)
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 8 ounces pasteurized crabmeat, drained if necessary
- 4 8-inch whole-wheat tortillas
- 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- Combine Cheddar, cream cheese, scallions, bell pepper, cilantro, jalapenos (if using), orange zest and juice in a medium bowl. Gently stir in crab. Lay tortillas out on a work surface. Spread one-fourth of the filling on half of each tortilla. Fold tortillas in half, pressing gently to flatten.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Place 2 quesadillas in the pan and cook, turning once, until golden on both sides, 3 to 4 minutes total. Transfer to a cutting board and tent with foil to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and quesadillas. Cut each quesadilla into 4 wedges.
Yield: 4 servings
Nutrition Per serving: 303 calories; 11 g fat ( 3 g sat , 3 g mono ); 83 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 24 g protein; 3 g fiber; 625 mg sodium; 117 mg potassium
(Recipe from Eatingwell.com)