As much as we don’t want to talk about it, colder weather is upon us… This means lots of things, school is back in full swing, Halloween quickly approaching, and the change in Michigan weather will be happening very soon. Before the colder weather is here in full effect, there are a few things you should do around the house to prepare for the winter and reduce your likelihood of a homeowners insurance claim.
- Clean out your gutters and downspouts from the leaves or other debris that might have built up in there. Please be careful using a ladder!
- While on the ladder, scan the roof for any damaged or missing shingles. Water can get under shingles and cause interior damage to the home. Contact a roofing company or handyman to help with any repairs.
- Remove hoses from outside spigots and bring drained hose into house. Remember to shut off the outdoor water valves.
- Shut down and drain your outdoor sprinkler system. This task might be better handled by a sprinkler system contractor.
- Check your furnace filter. As this might be the first time you are firing up your furnace for the season, it will run more efficiently with a clean filter. If you have an older furnace, it would probably be a good idea to contact a HVAC contractor to inspect your furnace.
- Test and replace the batteries to your smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors.
Those are just a few home preparation tips. If you don’t feel comfortable that you can complete a task, please call a professional to help do the work. If you need a referral to a skilled professional, let us know! Also, if you want a review of your homeowners policy to make sure you have adequate coverage, please contact us! We are here to help.